Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Moral Philosophy Blog Post #2: Lesson Learned

                I’ve experienced many lessons in my 18 years of life. I’ve learned when to hold my tongue and I’ve learned what other people expect from me. I’ve also learned the word “bill” in Spanish.

                While in Peru, my friend Rosalinda and I decided to go out for dinner one night. We found a café called El Gatito Perdido, or the Lost Kitty. We had our chicha and had been finished with our dinner for a long time so I decided to ask for the check. I couldn’t remember the word for “bill” and had left my pocket dictionary at my homestay. I assumed literally asking for the check, puedo obtener el cheque, would have done the job but the man took offense and slightly yelled at me. “La cuenta. LA CUENTA.”

                Ever since that night I will forever know that la cuenta is the word for bill in Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment